Question
Posted by: candice | 2009-02-09

Cystic fibrosis and effect on brain

Hello

I would like to know if Cystic fibrosis has any effect on the brain or brain acitivity? The child was diagnosed with CF when she was born, received medication and to date seems healthy and happy. She dows hoever, suffer from a low self-esteem and claims she is unable to work/hold down a job as a result of short concentration spans, being afraid of strangers, and general inability to socialise with people. She feels all these inadequacies are a direct result of the CF. Please advise whether CF can in fact affect the brain to this degree!! Thank you

Dear Candice
CF does not cause brain problems but can cause slow growth, delayed puberty and malnutrition. It sounds as if this child have some psychological problems which could be due to her having a chronic disease, and seeing a child psychologist may be useful in her case

1
Posted by: cf mom | 2009-02-09

Hi Candice, I am only a mother but a mother of a CF adult - there are many CF children and adults that suffer from depression and others with low self esteem. I have yet to come across one that has had the above affect their brain. The child seems to be using their CF to compensate for their lack of interest. CF is indeed a very difficult illness to live with in everyday terms but it can be done - CF people generally are very independant and motivated people because of their CF. No-one likes to cough and take enzymes and neb and do physio in front of others but it becomes a way of life. I feel for the child but she needs to know that nothing is going to change to suit her - she will at some stage have to go out there and prove herself. Sorry if this sounds harsh - but if she is that bad then she needs to see a councellor - she can request to see one from her clinic or her doctor. I wish her well on her further journey........

Reply to cf mom