Question
Posted by: Etienne | 2009/02/16

Cystic changes in the lungs

I went for a PET-CT and one of the findings were ' Cystic changes in the lungs particuarly in the right apical region" . Is this something to be worried about.

Dear Etienne
Cysts may contain either air or fluid, but this term is usually used to refer to an air-filled area in the lung - this can be caused by infections, cancers, lung damage by smoking or infection by certain worms (hydatid cyst). Some people are born with cysts that never give problems or sometimes cause perforation of the lungs. Rather wait for your doctor's feedback as I don't know if you have any specific risk factors or symptoms with this.