Posted by: mini | 2008-12-17

Cystic Acne Treatment

Hi there,

I am under going a treatment for Cystic acne . As a Final my Doctor said i have to undergo micro needling &  Subcision Surgery to get even out in face. Is there any side affect in doing tht surgery r please tel me about the treatment i have to undergone.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Mini, thank you for the question.

Percutaneous Collagen Induction (PCI), Needle-dermabrasion and Multi-Trepannic Collagen Actuation are all descriptions of the same procedure, which encompasses the same principle:
Stimulating the dermis to produce collagen through the induction of thousands of miniscule wounds on the skin by the use of microneedles.
The dermis is directly injured to initiate a wound healing response that ultimately increases dermal collagen production and deposition by fibroblasts. The lengths and proximity of the needles to each other determines the depth and degree of epidermal and dermal stimulation.

Key indications for PCI Dermaroller treatment in office includes (must be performed by a medical doctor):
Skin rejuvenation of lines and wrinkles around eyes, mouth, cheeks
Scarring: acne, post-operative, burns, striae distensiae (stretch marks)
Thinning of the dermis due to moderate to advance photodamage
Skin laxity (mild)

There should be no major side effects experienced with the needling treatments as the depth of skin penetration is superficial. The following are known side effects:
Discomfort and pain through the procedure
Redness and mild scabbing for 3 to 5 days

Subcision involves the physical cutting of the scar tissue that tethers the skin to underlying structures. Possible side effects include:
Inflammation, swelling
Bruising, hematoma
Pigmentory skin changes
Treatment scars

By removing the scar tissue the skin is allowed to lift and even out and this leads to a more even skin tone.
A number of treatments may be required (up to 3) and one may even have to consider using laser skin resurfacing depending on the achieved results.