Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2012/04/24

Cyst on kidney

We were just for our 22 week scan and the gynea said it looks like there is some cysts on the babies one kidney.

No that completely freaked me out (I''m the dad) and my wife is also totally in panic mode.

The gynea did say that there is urine in the bladder, which tells him the kidney functions are working.

I read up a bit on cysts on kidneys in pregnancies and most people comment that they have healthy babies and the " cysts"  disappeared by themselves.

My wife spoke to a nurse and the nurse probably gave her the worst case scenario about the cyst growing so big it will push the poor baby to the side and they have to fly the baby to another hospital and us getting a better medical aid for all the medical bills ect ect. This further freaked my wife out to the point that she started crying. I was not impressed, because the gynea would have told us if there was something wrong.

I spoke to the gynea just now and he assured us that at the moment there is nothing to worry about and that he will monitor the things and go from there. He also said there is nothing we could do now until the kid is born and then handled by a paediatrician. He said that in all the cases he''s seen, they never once had to operate on the baby, which bodes well for us, but what else is there I should know?

any advise?

It really depends on how big the cysts/cysts are and if they have caused the kidney to be enlarged. However, even in the worst case scenario if one kidney is not functioning at all, people can have a perfectly normal life with only one functioning kidney. Your baby's problem does not sound too serious.

1