Question
Posted by: Worried boyfrend | 2009/02/24

Cyrvical canser

Hi there,
My girlfriend recently got diagnosed with cervical cancer, and HPV, is this something contracted only by intercourse or is there other ways that someone can pick this up and what will the chances be of me having this virus. We are in a monogamous relationship and I would like to find out more about this cancer and HPV so we can face this together.
Thanx.

The HPV virus is sexually transmitted. You may have the virus but your girlfriend could also have got it from a previous partner as it can be asymptomatic for many years. You have to be clear whether she has cancer or precancer, as they are entirely differnt.