Posted by: kea | 2009-06-05

Dear Doc
I would like to ask you. Since forever... I walk around in life and wonder what it is all about. This is not something new. For years now I just sit and watch humanity and " wonder what it is all about" . For instance, I will look at the cars rushing past and wonder, why, why are we rushing from A to B. I am a christian and believe in life hereafter. I look at everything, people buying groceries and wonder why, why do we have to eat?. It is so bad that I really irratate myself. I find myself lonely in a group of people because I am sitting wondering what is the purpose of life and what is life all about. Why the bother, why the rush, why do we desire nice things and on an on..... I am such an ordinary normal person going about work myself, rushing from A to B myself, but cannot stop thinking why why why. I am driving myself crazy. Why am I doing this and how can I laugh, relax and stop being so cynical.

Some people do indeed wonder what it is all about. The rest haven't paused to recognize the question. And as you say, your question isn't about any life hereafter, but about the purposes of this life right here. You could also get caught into a loop asking yourself why you spend time asking these questions, if inded your wheels are spinning in the sand and you're not getting closer to findin answers to them.
Why we have to eat doesn't bother me in the sense that if we are to live, we need to provide ourselves with proper fuel --- its like asking why put petrol in a car, when the real question might be : Where are we going ? These are what would probablty be called Existential dilemmas. And my old friend Dr Viktor Frankl ( check there are numerous of his lucid books around ) discussed these issues very usefully. I dop recommend that you seek out some of his books, and read them,
Now, asking such quesions isn't in itself being cynical --- a cynic would alread have answered them, and probably have fouind litle point in it all.
Also, sometimes, in the early stages of Depression we may get caught up in such questions, without fruitfully moving towards useful answers