Posted by: Maria | 2008-12-14

Cymbalta side effects

Hey CS,

My doc switched me from Zoloft to Cymbalta. I' ve been taking it for 3 days now, in the evening. The first night I was nauseous but the next two nights I took it straight after supper and didn' t have nausea. I' m having severe constipation problems though. Is this side effect likely to be temporary? And what is the best way of dealing with it?

Regards to Smoky!

I wish I knew why so many doctors seem besotted with Cymbalta and a couple of other expensive antidepressants. While I recognize they may play a useful role in dealing with complex problems and where other meds have not been adequate, it worries me that they are so often used as a first line of treatment.
Nausea is a common initial side-effects with this family of drugs ; and constipation seems more common with Cymbalta than with several of its alternatives. Most side-effects are worst in the first few days, and then tend to improve. And constipation is often worse in this sort of hot weather when we tend to be somewhat dehydrated. It may help to temporarily take something like Fybogel and to drink more water, but if the problem persists do call the prescribing doctor and make sure you get his advice about this