Question
Posted by: Gigi | 2010-07-28

Cymbalta

I have been depressed for many years and every now and then it gets the better of me and I become more agressive and impatient with my loved ones etc. I''m tired of constantly feeling like I want to end it all, but medication that simply turns me into a zombie serves no purpose as I am a mother of 4 kids that need me to be emotionally available. I know there are different types of anti depressants, but is their a medication that actually elevates one''s mood and makes you feel happier? Some years ago i was on Cymbalta and it simply made me feel numb - no highs no lows, I hated it and stopped after 8 mnths.

ALl antidepressants do what you want for SOME of the people taking them. But only some 70 % of us respond well to any particular AD drug. Thus one might be lucky with the first one tried, or may need to try two or more to find what suits one's own particular chemistry. You mention not liking the effects of Xymbalta, but of course there are many others which could be tried.
Maybe wise to have an assessment by a good local psychiatrist, and to discuss your choice of treatments.
An alternative is CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, which good research has shown to be as effective as antidepressants, and to have lasting benefits.

1