Question
Posted by: Cath | 2010/01/18

CYCLOGEST

I was wondering if you could please advise me. I am finally pregnant through IVF treatment. They put me on Cyclogest the day of my egg transfer. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant and my doctor has advised that at 8.5 weeks, I can go off of my cyclogest. I have heard that other clinics wait till 12 weeks some ten weeks. What do you advise I do? Please can you explain when and why it is safe to do it at a particular week so that I can stop being paranoid:) also if you say stop at for example 9 weeks, is that the end of 9 weeks or at the beginning?
Kindest Regards
Cath

Dear Cath

It is true that different protocols are used by different fertility units. According to the literature it may not be necessary to use progesterone supplementation beyond the first few, two or three weeks of embryo transfer. However since many patients experience a drop in progesterone around about 63-70 days into the pregnancy most practitioners will continue progesterone replacement or supplementation up to 10 weeks to avoid the so-called luteal placental shift phenomenal.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/01/22

Dear Cath

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: K | 2010/01/19

Hi. I was also told 12 weeks.

Reply to K