Question
Posted by: KV | 2011-05-23

Cyclizine - Long term use

Hi doctor

I am a 27 year old woman. What are the effects of long term use of cylizine. I seem to be nauseous almost every day (not sure if physical or psychological) and I often end up, in desperation, taking a valoid tablet (or similar) just to get through the day or eat something or even get through the night without waking up gagging. This has been happening for years. I am starting to think that either i have some psychological problem or I am dependant on cyclizine.
I have many IBS symptoms but my GP refuses to address these.
Please help.

KV

You will have to address the fact that you are constantly nauseous. Therefore, I suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy and gastroscopy, as well as optimal treatment for IBS.

In the interim, you can try Gaviscon Advanced, 15ml three times daily, before meals.

Cyclizine can have neurological side-effects when used on a chronic basis.