Posted by: Bob | 2009-06-17

Cycling - Weight

I dont have much fat except for some on the stomach. Would cycling reduce the stomach fat?

My understanding is that when doing cardio-vascular excersize for a lengthy period of time the body will start using fat as an energy source. However would it take from the stomach or only the legs?

Hi bob

It would take from everywhere. ANd it starts to "take" right from the start, not only after a long time, so the good news is that 30 minutes of training also burns fat, just less than you would burn in 2 hours of exercise. But that's only because you're training longer, it's not that fat burning 'kicks in' much later on.

As for where it comes from, it comes from the body's stores of fat, and that means from all over. So yes, to answer the main question, cycling would help. That's not a guarantee that it will work, because diet is crucial, and so is the volume of training, the intensity, how long you do it for, and other factors like genes, but cycling is part of the answer. Diet is absolutely vital though, so I'd really suggest looking at this seriously, because what you're trying to do is to combat a very specific and difficult problem, that requires all the elements to be in place.