Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2010/11/16

cycling to lose weight and get fit

I am 34, 1.6m tall and weigh 97.5kg. I have not exercised since childhood and get alot of backache. I bought a mountain bike a few weeks ago to try and lose weight and get fit. I am struggling to say the least. I get tired unbelievably quick and cant cycle further than 4.5km. Can you please advise me on a how far I should cycle each day to gradually build up my fitness level and to help me lose weight. I am starting with weight watchers as well which I hope will help too.

Please advise.

Hi Nicky

I think in the early stages of your training, you need to listen more to your body than to me (or anyone else) when it comes to knowing how far to go.

So if right now, you're going maybe 15 minutes, that's your goal. Don't worry about distance, worry about time and just build it up by allowing your body to tell you what it can do. What you're gonig through now is not unexpected - everyone battles when they start, especially after years of not training.

So just give it a while - it will take a couple of weeks, but your body will get used to it and you'll soon be riding 30 minutes, 40 minutes, and you'll look back and wonder what the fuss is about. But that's for next year, perhaps. For now, 15 minutes is fine, and soon it will become 20 minutes. I think by the time you reach 30 minutes, consider the 20km programme on the site:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Programmes/16-1347-2102-2106-2254-2109.asp

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/11/26

Hi Nicky

Reply to fitnessdoc