Question
Posted by: cyclist | 2008/08/28

CYCLING SIDE EFFECT : pins& needles.

Hi Doc -

I went for a 30km cycle about a week ago.
I have this strange " pins& needles"  feeling in my leg, groin and then also on the one side of penis.

Its very faint - but I' m still concerned.

Is this a normal side effect from cycling,
does it go away ...

or should I go and see a doctor.

Many thanks

Dear Cyclist
You could have bruised the perineal nerve running between your legs - it will probably come right but you need to look at your saddle, the position and padding may need adjustment.
-downward tilted saddle reduced stress and compression on the perineum
-keeping handlebar height lower than saddle height in long-distance cyclists was associated with less side effects
-using a saddle with a large cutout and downward facing nose (the front of the saddle)

1
Posted by: Cyclist | 2008/08/29

Much appreciated doc.

Reply to Cyclist