Question
Posted by: Spinner | 2011/11/14

cycling, muscle building, calorie burning

Hello Doctor
I''m a 26-year old woman with a normal BMI. I''ve been cycling +-30km per day at a relatively fast pace (26-30km/h), most days of the week. I''m afraid of building too much muslce in my legs (especially my quads), though. Will this amount of cycling cause my quads to grow a lot? Then, will this amount of cycling help with weight loss if I just want to lose a kilo or two? How strict must my diet be to enable this? How much weight training/toning should I do?
Thanks in advance for your much appreciated advice!

Hi Spinner

No, not necessarily. There will be some muscle mass increase, because that's a normal adaptation, but you won't bulk up in the way that you would if you spent an hour a day in the gym.

You'd have to see how it goes, but expect some increase, but not the kind that you're probably afraid of!

in terms of weight loss, all things staying the same, yes, this should help, because that hour of cycling is probably worth 400 kCal, maybe even a little more and if nothing else changes, then you should see some weight loss.

But as you have recognized, you do need to manage the diet, and that makes a big difference. I'd say that for your weight loss, diet is more important than exercise, and given that you're aiming for 1 or 2kg, you do need to look at diet, and that means maybe seeing a dietician for the small details, which make the difference at this level!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/11/27

Hi Spinner

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc