Question
Posted by: Lizelle | 2010/07/15

Cycling and weight

My husband and I cycle and do between 120 and 140km per week. I''ve put on a bit of weight and I know that some of it is due to the muscle that I''ve possible put on, but cannot help to think that I''m not eating 100% correct and some of it is fat. If I do not eat enough I have no energy to cycle. I need a healthy eating plan that will give me enough energy to cycle, but not put on fat, and trying this myself is not working. Is there perhaps such a plan on this website?

Dear Lizelle
Wow you and your hubby sure are fit! Muscle tissue does weigh more than fat tissue, so it is possible that your weight gain is due to muscle gain. I have written many articles on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain answers to your questions. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'. Your lack of energy indicates that you require more low-fat carbohydrates in your diet, so take note of the articles regarding carbs and carbo-loading.
Enjoy your cycling

1

Dear Lizelle
Enjoy your cycling