Question
Posted by: Lizelle | 2010/02/16

Cycling and eating right

We' ve cycled for a while now, but now we are training to do the 94.7 later this year - so roughtly we cycle about 100km a week (twice in the week and then on Sat and Sun). I am 1.64 and weighs 58 kg. I am concerned that I' m not eating correctly and might gain weight seeing that I' m not loosing weight due to all this exercise - I have a sandwich in the morning - two slices of bread (white or wholeweat - depends on what I' ve got at home) with one teaspoon margarine and grated cheese. For lunch I will either have muesli with skim milk or All Bran flakes with skim milk. For snacks I take two appels, a banana, and 1 x packet of dried fruit and nuts (Safari mix) to work which I snack on in between. Some days I don' t eat the All Bran/Muesli. At night I will have whatever I' m making but watch my portions. Is this a healthy eating plan? Or should I adjust it at some places?

Dear Lizelle
Seeing that your present BMI = 21,6, you are certainly NOT overweight as this is the ideal BMI for adult women. If you are doing so much exercise then it is essential that you have an adequate intake of carbohydrates. Carbs are the best source of readily available fuel and you may know that the cyclists who participate in the Tour de France obtain up to 70% of their energy from carbs. If you don't eat sufficient carbs you won't have the energy you require to sustain your strenuous exercise programme. So concentrate on eating more carbs and less fat (the nuts and muesli which contains nuts, meat, etc). Basically your food intake is reasonable as reflected by your excellent BMI. One possible reason why you are not losing weight is that muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue and you are probably developing plenty of muscle tissue at the moment. I have written many articles on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain more info on diets for sportsmen/women. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'.
Good luck with your training programme

1

Dear Lizelle
Good luck with your training programme