Question
Posted by: JOHN | 2012/01/31

CYCLING

HI WE PLANNING TO RIDE THE CAPE ARGUS AND I HAVE FALLEN ILL FOR 3 WEEKS NOW. JUST WANT 2 KNOW IF I WILL BE ABLE TO TRAIN ENOUGH OR GET ENOUGH TRAINING IN FOR THE EVENT? ANY ADVICE ON HOW MUCH SHOULD I PUT IN. I AM FAIRLY FIT . OOPS SRRY WROTE ALL THIS IN CAPS...

Hi John

"Enough training" is a very relative term. So much depends on what the goal was. There's no question that the loss of training time can compromise your race performance, though even here, it depends on how much time you lose (3 weeks and counting) and how long you'd been training before. But for a guy who is aiming say to break 3 hours, this would probably end those chances, because you can't afford to lose this time. So it is goal dependent, as to whether your target has to change or not.

In terms of what to do - as much as possible, once you've started training, which I assume has happened now. I'd love to be more specific, but there are so many "ifs" here that it's not possible. You'll definitely be able to ride, but you may have to reassess your goals, set out with a different plan in mind.

Ross