Question
Posted by: Cindy30 | 2011/05/19

Cycling

Dear Doc,

Our company bosses are all pretty good cyclists and they challenged us girls to ride the 94.7 cycle challenge in November.
None of us have ever done any cycling before. We started training 2 weeks ago, 3 times a week (Mon, Wed, Thurs), needles to say we could only do about 6km on the first day but we are up to 10km at the moment.

My question is: on the first day of the week it feels like you can go for 50km, by the second day it is harder, by the 3rd day you feel absolutely exhausted doing the 10km!! Is this normal? Are we doing something wrong?

Hi Cindy

Very progressive bosses!

It's not unusual to experience that cumulative fatigue as the week goes on. Often this is why top athletes will do their hardest training early in the week, because that way they do it well rested and the quality is higher.

Part of what you've felt is simply that you're so early in your progress. You need to build fitness and then you'll recover much more effectively - ability to recover is one of the most important changes that happen with training, so give it another few weeks.

I think you might want to back off the intensity on the Monday though - if you're doing say 15km, you should have enough to do a couple more sessions without feeling too exhausted. If you do, then slow down on that first day.

but just give it time, it'll come!
Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/05/23

Hi Cindy

Very progressive bosses!

but just give it time, it'll come!
Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc