Question
Posted by: Beginner | 2011/02/02

Cycling

I would like to start road cycling/races etc. this would be mainly for exercise, health and weight reasons. But have a few medical conditions.
1. BMI = 40 odd pretty overweight
2. High BP and High Pulse Rate
3. Asthmatic
4. Smoker of hubbly bubbly
5. Extremely poor/bad eating habits

Will cycling improve weight loss, blood pressure and improve my general health.

Do you have any suggestions or advise for me. I use to enjoy riding my road bike while growing up and think I would enjoy doing it on a more serious level now but mainly for increased health and effective weight loss. I do still have a bit of go in me but feel because of my weight am deteriorating fast and urgently need help with this.

Cycling will certainly help for weight management, asthma, blood pressure. So yes, absolutely.

Having said that, it can be very difficult to get started, and given your situation with asthma, smoking and blood pressure and weight, there are a few risk factors there that make it difficult.

So the safest and advisable option is to have a medical first - have a doctor clear you for exercise and then you can begin. Next, it depends what access you have now - cycling is often tricky because of roads and traffic and so forth. And with winter approaching, days are shorter. So it can be difficult to begin. Are you a member at a gym? Would you be able to start there, and build up fitness so that you can work towards getting back onto the roads?

Having cycled before, you obviously have some experience, and that helps, but it may be that you need to devote the first 6 weeks or so to working towards fitness, and then take to the roads.

There are programmes on the website - http://www.health24.com/fitness/Programmes/16-1347.asp

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/11

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Mary | 2011/02/03

Hi Beginner

This is a fantastic way to try to increase your health! I am a cyclist myself and it is a really good way to try and loose weight. I think you need to take it slow at first and maybe run by your doctor to just get the ok. The best thing you can do is to get a heart rate monitor to make sure that you train in the right zones. If you want to loose weight as a primary concern, your heart rate must be in the lower zones. The best is to go riding a long distance in a lower heart rate zone. Do not overdue it at first otherwise it will be to exausting and you will loose your interest! Good luck

Reply to Mary