Question
Posted by: CANDY | 2009-12-09

CYCLING

I have joined a team of three girls to cycle a 90km road race ( half iron man) This is my first big cycle so i firstly had to get used to riding a mountain bike ( was only spinning at gym) now I am trying to get used to cleats ( have fallen several times). The last step is too swop from the mountain bike to the road bike (time is running out). As I dont have a road bike and borrowing one is such a pain will I be that much slower on a mountain bike with the thinner wheels??Feeling the pressure as I am worried about my team mates &  obvouisly the time. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks!

Hi Candy

It is quite a bit tougher on the mountain bike than the road bike, yes. A lot depends on the bike, because the top of the line mountain bikes these days are about as light as some road bikes, and so you can then get away with it.

But generally, the extra weight of the mountain bike will be quite a hinderance. Can't put a number to that, it all depends, but I'd guess that it's a good 5 to 10 minutes per 30 km. On hilly routes, maybe even more.

So if you can get a road bike, I'd certainly advise it. If it's the iron man in January that you're talking about, then you have enough time, you just need to be methodical about how you practice. Once you've learned it, it's really easy and you'll feel just as comfortable on the road bike as the mountain bike, so you just have to commit and give it a go.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009-12-11

Hi Candy

Reply to fitnessdoc