Question
Posted by: CLOE | 2009/05/07

CYCLING

HI DOC
HAVING A PROBLEM OVER THE LAST 6 MONTHS
I SHOULD BE CYCLING 4 TIMES A WEEK FOR 45MIN BUT RECENTLY I AM GETTING SICK OFTENITS THE FLU FOLLOWED BY THROAT INFECTIONS MY GP SUGGESTED THAT MY IMMUNE SYTEM IS TO WEAK
I WUD LIKE TO KNOW IS THIS DUE TO EXCESSIVE WORKOUTS OR NOT SUPPLEMENTING MYSELF ENOUGH
DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ??
TANX

It could be diet. We know that people who are training very hard tend to get sick more often. The problem with this is that 45 minutes 4 times a week is not as hard as is required to run the immune system down. That said, if your diet is poor or not providing enough energy, then you can have a weakened immune system regardless of how much you train. So I think diet is a key here, and if you can, I’d really suggest seeing a dietician about it and making sure you’re eating well. Anything else you do will be a waste of time if you don’t. that will also determine whether you should take a supplement or not.

Finally, consider having a immunoglobulin injection to give the system a boost – they are quite effective and work well to prevent colds and flu