Question
Posted by: Sweetpea | 2008/09/11

Cycling

Hi Doc, just a quick one. I have just recently started training for the 94.7 cycle challange and i have never been a cyclist before.I wanted to know, will my thighs build up and become bulky??

Hi Sweetpea

No, not if you don't ride in a super heavy gear all the time. The key is the resistance per pedal stroke, and so my advice is to keep your gear nice and light so you pedal with a faster cadence then you avoid this. Remember though that this is somewhat subjective - you will increase your muscle mass, but you won't get bulky. Rugby players get bulky, you'll get toned, and so don't confuse the two! But just see how it goes, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and be surprised.

1
Posted by: tazz | 2008/09/15

No they won' t ! not in a few months anyway.
I' ve been cycling for about 2 years and my quads aren' t as bulky as some men cyclists.
depending on how skinny your thighs are - they muscle that you do build, for strength and endurance will " show"  if you flex them. but nothing serious!!
good luck!
see you there  -)

Reply to tazz