Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2010/06/02

Cycles after a baby

Hi Dr, I have had a baby 6 months ago, and have been breastfeeding since. I have not yet seen a return of my cycles, which im told is quite normal, however i often get pains in my ovaries is that something to worry about? Also lately it feels like im getting period pain but nothing comes of it, also having a clear mucousy discharge (now and again) is this normal? How soon after discontinuing breastfeeding should my cycles resume again?

It all sounds normal. Periods usually start within 3 months of stopping breastfeeding.

1