Question
Posted by: cycledad | 2011-03-28

CYCLE DAD

Hi my wife and i are trying to get pregnant and we are both avid cyclists (around 8hrs training a week).

Will this affect our chances on getting pregnant and how is all that time in the saddle affecting my sperm production / quality?

No, it shouldn't, because 8 hours, while a lot of time, is still considerably less than a professional cyclist will spend in the saddle (20 hours a week). There's some evidence that sperm viability is affected by that kind of training time, but I think that 8 hours should be OK. THat doesn't rule out that there may be some other factors that influence your chances, and so if you are struggling, then it may be worth seeing a specialist about it. It's possible that with some of these factors, cycling can add to the difficulty. But in their absence, it shouldn't affect you!