Question
Posted by: Steph | 2009-04-28

Cybervet

I have been reading this forum for sometime now and have reached a rather worrying conclusion. Whilst I do appreciate that my post is not a query I' d like to voice my concerns.

I appreciate that this forum is in place to facilitate the care of our pets, and to bring healthcare to pets of those who are unable to afford the services of a vet. However, I am concerned at the manner in which people use this forum. And the lack of grace shown when the desired result is not achieved for them.

By the looks of things, most people do not provide sufficient details for cybervet to reach a decisive diagnosis, primarily because the average chap on the street does not know what to look for in diagnosing their pets illness. Moreover, there seems to be the small issue of meds. Surely one must understand that at some time you are going to have to go to the vets, or your local spca to obtain the meds in the event that you are given a diagnosis.

This leads me to the feel that this forum is sometimes abused, but more often cybervet is taken advantage of, when more often than not i' ve noted people trying to take short cuts with their pet' s healthcare. people, pets need to be loved and cared for and this includes healthcare. be responsible in this regard. and don' t be rude and abusive to the cybervet, the guy is providing a service and working with very few resources by the looks of things. so take this service for what it is, a primary contact advice centre, not a free consult.
if you cant afford vets fees then why not do a bit of volunteer work at the spca and put a bit back into your community instead of just being on the lookout for a way to get freebie.

Dear Steph

Thanks. I hope that people will take your comments to heart.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-29

A lot of what you say is absolutely correct, but you do forget perhaps that people from ALL walks of life, with all sorts of cultural and ingrained attitudes to animals, come to this forum. Very often, all they want is some comfort or advice - not all the pets they write about are sick. We' ve had queries from very remote areas - not always within South Africa - where vets do not exist, or are two days'  drive away - this sure is better than nothing.

Most of the people on here are perfectly nice, and well-meaning, and helpful. But yes, every now and then you get an absolute pill - no way to keep them out, I fear...

Reply to Chill