Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2010-09-13

Cyberbullying at school

I am a grade 7 Teacher, and have moslty 13 year olds. They are on Mixit. There ia an anonymous user who is tearing others apart. As an adult I wouldn''t be able to survive with the offensive language and information posted about others. It is demeaning and I don''t know how to deal with this as it is affecting learners at school.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Amanda,

cyber-bullying is a very pernicious entity and much harder in some ways to infiltrate.

It might be worth contacting the company that runs and moderates mxit as they may be able to trace the abusive user. Most younf people only use Mxit as an affordable way to communicate with their friends, but this kind of bullying should not go unchecked.

With internet bullying there have been legal cases taken for Crimen Injura. Perhaps a session with your class about Mxit and other chat and social networking sites would be useful, including the abuse of such things and possible consequences young people face if they break the law.

2
Posted by: Health24 | 2010-09-18

We recently featured an article: Cyberbullies: is your child at risk? Even though the article focuses on Facebook bullying it discusses bullying via social media in general and might be of interets to you.
Kind regards
Health24

Reply to Health24
Posted by: Lily | 2010-09-17

I can''t give you any advise but I would like to say that is wonderful to see that a teacher is so aware of what is going on in her classes. And that you care . Thanks for that.

Reply to Lily