Question
Posted by: Carol | 2008/08/12

CV ... can I beg to differ??

Hi there ..... glad to see we have a new vet around .. however if I may be so bold as to argue a small point ???? :)

Were on earth does antibiotics help a cat wih possible snuffles ????? Upper respitory infection yes .... but not snuffles.

I have rescued cats and kittens for ages .. and had every grotty viral infection to deal with and antibitics aint the way to go.

Build up kitties immune system with something like echina force drops .. which work ....

Dear Carol

Always good to argue small points. Good to have awake people in this world. I agree with not using anitbiotics straight away, but I always treat snuffles that get very snotty and nasty with antibiotics to kill secondary BACTERIAL infection. Private practice and rescue are worlds apart. You may have time nurse the kitties with Echinacea (this is one flower that has done me the world of good) but in practice there are more factors to weigh up in treating snuffles like the stage of snuffles, owner expectation, financial position of owner and the list goes on.

We all have our views about drugs in general. Some people use them to often, some never and some to late. Our views are often clouded by clever marketing, need for financial gain and fear of losing clients due to a cautious approach.

I hope this answers your question. Easy to treat your own, tricky to treat a strangers animal.