Posted by: Patricia | 2009-07-21

Cutting two veins open

I am wondering if I cut two veins open on my arms where they look thickest, will I die? What if I make a hole with a needle, would that be enough? And is there any chance that i would survive and get any complications from it?

I don' t need any psychological advice or reasons not to kill myself. I don' t know if I will either. I' m not depressed, this is only a choice and it' s nothing new, I' ve thought about it for 14 years now. But I need to know exactly what danger there is in choosing this method. I' d hate to survive and live the rest of my life with some impairment and making other people' s lives a hell.

Hi Patricia
No cutting veins on the arms won't cause fatal bleeding - blood will clot before you lose too much. If you are thinking of killing yourself - you must be either hurting a lot emotionally, or feeling very sad - so I am not judging you for thinking of it. It is however a devastating choice to take for the people around you that really care about you (talking from up close and personal experience here by the way...) Suicide thoughts usually happen when the hurt/sadness overwhelms your coping mechanisms. It does help to use antidepressants or to see someone that can teach you methods to cope with whatever your burden is. I am also willing to listen if you want to talk about it...
dr Bets