Question
Posted by: Anke | 2011/04/10

Cutting - self mutilation

My friend started cutting herself. 5 cuts on the thigh with a knife. I know she is having bf trouble. What can I do to help?

She needs to be persuaded to see a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist for a proper assessment, as such problems are usually complex and need skillful help. Some people react in this unfortunately self-damaging way when upset in relatonships, and obviously it is undesirable, can have long-term consequences, and doesn't help the situation in any way, but it can become habit-forming unless dealt with promptly.

1