Question
Posted by: Janine | 2009/11/11

Cut off thumb

I cut the tip off my thumb on Saturday, a neat round piece of skin and underlying fatty tissue (I think) . looks like the soft tissue and nerve ends are visible. The wound looks good, dry, although I can see –  when looking from the top, that there is a concave hole. Will the skin grow back or the wound just dry up and be OK? or will I need a skin graft?

Hallo Janine
Depends on how big the hole is - the skin will usually grow back from the sides if not too big - but then one needs to keep the tissue moist. A scab will prevent new skin forming in the middle. Rather let a doctor have a look to give you instructions as to how to manage the wound? (Especially as it is on a finger where one wants to retain sensitivity and feeling).

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/11

Hallo Janine

Reply to cyberdoc