Question
Posted by: CandyB | 2008/10/13

Cushing' s Syndrome

I am a 23 year old female, and I would like to know what the possibility is that I could have a mild form of Cushings Syndrome.

The symptoms that I have is weight gain around my abdominal area (like stomach and " love handles" ) and I also tend to carry weight a bit in my face and neck, I have dark purple strech marks around my belly button that are becoming more numerous, as well as fine purple strech marks on my breasts and inner thighs, I also have the common sign of the " buffalo hump"  the fat pad on the back of my neck, my face is prone to redness and do get moody quite a lot.

I do not have any of the other symptoms such as high blood pressure or high blood sugar, my blood pressure is usally low.

I am also battling with an iron deficiency, for which I am taking iiron supplements daily and I am on Yasmin.

Could there be any other reasons for the above symptoms, I have had my throid checked through blood tests, and it was normal (can there be mistakes in checking thyroid functioning?)

Thank-you

HI Candy
I think you have enough symptoms to warrant a referral to an endocrinologist to examine your cortisol levels and exclude Cushing syndrome - not all patients have all the symptoms all the time.