Question
Posted by: Maria | 2008/07/15

Curious

I am not picking on any of the posts but I wondered if CS and other psychiatrists/cologists ever get impatient with people. Don't you ever feel like telling them to grow up, get a life and how they he--l are they going to react when a real problem comes along?

Doesn't it depress you listening to people's troubles all day?

Just curious.

Obviously it can be annoying at times, and though one musrt remember that something may seem a major problem to someone while apprearing trivial to anyone else, one can't altogether follow that argument too far --- to a kugel, breaking one's artificial finger-nail can seema catastrophe. But I don't think that means we have to accept her self-evaluation, and treat the split nail as fully equivalent to someone else's major bereavement or earthquake. It is a vital lesson people need to learn, to keep their life and its events in proportion, and not to needlessly magnify their concerns.
And some people do now, much more than in earlier years, use this forum for very minor issues. I am reminded of the story an American educator told about a little black boy in an inner city ghetto, who was asked by his teacher how many legs a lobster has. He responded : " Oh boy, Miss, I sure wish I had YOUR problems !"

6
Posted by: anon | 2008/07/15

It depends on the type of therapy whether its person centred or problem centred. Focussing on the person and their feelings and how they see life etc. whats important to them to get to understand their life,, placing yourself in their shoes, being empathetic to them, is different to just hearing problems all day long.

Therein lies the difference.

Reply to anon
Posted by: Maria | 2008/07/15

I've asked my psychologist this question. He said that you have to concentrate on the individual, and be non-judgemental. He did however admit that some days it feels as if he just listens to people's problems, big and small, all day long without making a difference.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Maria (non original) | 2008/07/15

OK my nic will just be "curious" from now on - don't mind at all. Or should I get paranoid about it ;) ? Just joking.

I do realise that the problem may seem huge to the person involved but sometimes I just wonder how the doc's cope with it day in and day out. They do say that the suicide rate is high among psycholgists, must be from listening to people complain all day.

Reply to Maria (non original)
Posted by: Maria (original) | 2008/07/15

The size of the problem is in the eye of the beholder... Silly as people's issues often seem, as a professional you cannot judge them as being unimportant. It's important to that person. Nevertheless, I do expect it gets a bit much at times.

Maria, I've been posting here for about two years as "Maria", would you mind changing your nic? It's ok if you don't want to, I can also change mine. Just want to avoid confusion for some of the people who got to know me on this site.

Reply to Maria (original)
Posted by: ? | 2008/07/15

then why do u read everyday sandra?

Reply to ?
Posted by: SANDRA | 2008/07/15

I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING. I RARELY POST BUT READS THE POSTS EVERY DAY. SOME PEOPLE REALLY NEED TO GET IT STRAIGHT. ALSO I FOUND THAT PEOPLE ARE DISCUSSING PETTY THINGS AND FORGET WHAT THE FORUM IS REALLY FOR. THIS IS A MENTAL HELP FORUM, NOT A PERSOANL ADVISOR SITE.

Reply to SANDRA