Question
Posted by: Franco Hattingh | 2012/03/21

CTS problems

I have recently been diagnosed with CTS. This is a big problem for me because I stay in shape by doing a lot off push ups, dips and pull ups.

Now I can''t do any of these exercises. What exercises can I do to keep my arms and chest in shape?

please help!

HI Franco

Well, obviously, you're treating the CTS at the same time? Either medically or through some stretching exercises? And changing your work environment if this was the cause of the problem? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001469/ That's an important parallel process to follow.

In terms of exercises, you can lift weights - it's the cocked position of the wrist that is the problem, when your wrists bend upwards. So in lifting weights, you can ensure that this doesn't happen. You can also do adapted push-ups, for example, where you hold onto the edge of a table or BOSU ball in order to do them with straight, locked wrists, that don't bend during the movement. It's really just a question of adapting exericse - chest press and bench press instead of pushups, pull downs instead of dips, etc.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/03/26

HI Franco

Reply to fitnessdoc