Question
Posted by: anon | 2008/06/28

CS : Your reply to Maria

CS, I was also wondering how you were doing and what transpired. Thanks for posting and pleased you managed to finally speak to someone, hopefully it can be resolved for once and for all. The media can be a wonderful friend, in such times, and you having your contact, certainly may have prompted the councils response.

I have been contacted by my council (Ekurhuleni) and told that I need to pay a fee as no one was home when they came to read the meters. Its a sort of fine. There was a number to contact, the fine would be added to my bill. I called the number and was told from now on I would be responsible for reading my own meter and each month on the 18th had to call through telephonically my reading or email it through and they gave me an address, of course its a company the council sub contract to....this I have been doing for the past 4 or 5 months now. Wonder if they will come by and check that my readings have been accurate each month....

Hope you manage to sort it all out, think all the extra stress we mortals have to go through, just to try and speak to a human being at these councils are totally ridiculous. What happened to the good old administration department that worked!

I am finding the same problem at a distance learning centre, the admin department is totally non existent and when you do query something you are lucky to get an automated response a month or so later by the time an email arrives, even I have forgotten what my original query was. Trying to call these places also totally impossible they do not answer the calls.

Such is life, we go on regardless.

CS, take care of yourself. I hope MM is alive and well and after his rounds of endless wandering will decide home is the best place to be, and perhaps CS, if and when he does come home again, rush him off to your nearest Vet. He will be a happier cat and a friendlier pet. :)

I;ve often wondered about the Read-It-Yourself policy. A while back someone in the billing dept said I should do so ( being disabled makes this actually impractical ), adding "ALl of us do it !" I asked --- if every member of the responsible dept. ( I use the word "responsible" very lightly, you understand )--- why do they still waste our money paying for meter readers who don't read meters ? I wondered how they check the readings you send in ( and if a reader comes to check each one, where's the advantage to anyone ? ).
I can echo your comments on the Distance Learning experience, but with Woolworths. Early last year I got a call from a manager, and was very puzzled by wha he was asking about, to find they were responding to an email of mine from over a year before !
MM was extremely friendly, but loved straying. I'd be amazed if he came back now ( nearing 6 weeks later ), and have already put out the word that I'd like a kitten, preferably female, and grey or black and white. Either sex, the next kitten will visit the vet. And if MM comes back after all this time, he may just find his job has been taken !