Question
Posted by: JJ | 2008/08/29

CS YOUR OPION - MORNE HARMSE

Hi CS,

What is your opinion of Morne Harmse, the school boy from Krudersdorp who was involved in satanism?

OK< I can't have a firm opinion yet, as I have obviously never seen and assessed him, and can only comment on what gets published in the media and exposed in court.
I don't believe that Satanism has anything to do with it, and the single symptom quoted in COurt ( the ghost in the field ) sounds more like a simulation of psychosis than its reality. Kids who want to freak out their parents may discover that simulating Satanism is an effective and simple way to do so. And kids who feel weak and powerless are at risk of joining any gang going round that will lend them a sense of strength, or even joining a one-man group with similar effects for them. SO in disturbed kids, the disturbance can cause the appearance of satanism, rather than the other way round.
I'm bothered that he is already labelled as having been involved in Satanism, though I have sean and heard no real evidence that this was so --- it seems to be a broad assumption being made. I am profoundly suspicious of the self-appointed "experts" on Satanism who run a home industry warning about it and exaggerating the propblem, and claiming to be able to help with it ( despite no evidence that it actually exists on any significant scale or that their "help" actually helps anything other than their sense of self-importance and their bank balance.
Similarly, the ludicrous claims being made that he was influenced by specific "bad" pop music. Firstly, there is no evidence that music of any nature actually has such effects ( and as its listened to by so very many kids, if it did have such effects, we'd have epidemics of savage violence in forms we do NOT have ). Secondly, again I have seen no good evidence that he listened to any particular music. We were told again and again that he wore a sort of balaclava helmet as worn by memvbers of a particular pop group --- but other wear them, who have never even heard of that group, and I have again sen no hard evidence that he cared for that group or any other.
When something horrible happens, we want a simple explanation for why it happened, preferably one that blames someone else, and which suggests we can protect ourselves from it. So we can be eager to accept silly and false explanations rather than to accept the discomfort of having none.

3
Posted by: Maria (regular) | 2008/08/29

Just wanted to say that it wasn' t me posting above... The bottom line is that this boy made a terrible decision. Whether this was due to satanism, mental illness or something else remains to be seen in court.

Reply to Maria (regular)
Posted by: Amazed | 2008/08/29

Maria I' m with you on the parent' s negligence. In fact he got one of the swords from them as a gift!

Reply to Amazed
Posted by: Maria | 2008/08/29

In my personal opinion I do believe he was involved in satanism and it does have an effect on people, how can it not???? The Devil is so real and so around us!
But i also believe that this child has some serious problems and how can his parents not do anything when they see him in his room sharpening his sword!!! Pathetic.

Reply to Maria