Posted by: Garfield | 2012-02-01

CS, your advice please!

Hi CS!!

Wow, it has been a long time! (I still check in every now &  again, hoping that your wisdom will rub off on me, but haven''t posted in ages). I really hope that you are doing well!

CS, I think last time I wrote I told you that I was changing my whole life &  moving across the country to pursue my dream of becoming a Psychologist. Well, the good news is that I have done just that! I am officially starting my MA in Clinical Psychology in a few days time!!

Last year I saw a fantastic clinical psychologist for the whole year, once a week for FREE (due to being a student). It was wonderful. I now know for sure the first hand benefits of it &  want to continue it for the rest of my life - for personal growth as well as professional reasons.

However, when my psychologist found out that I had been offered a place in the programme, he said that we would need to start ending off our sessions together, as from this year (part time) and next year (full time), we will be colleagues working together in the same psychiatric institution. He was also sad to end it though, &  has said that he will make space for me straight away if there are any pressing issues that I want to deal with next year - but just no longer for long term therapy.

Unfortunately I really cannot afford another psychologists fees until I am in my intern year &  earning a full time salary again. I cannot see any of the other psychologists in that institution for the same reason of being colleagues in the near future. I cannot go to the University counselling centre as they are all my peers (&  colleagues). (&  everyone else in this area falls under the private section with large fees!)

Despite (thankfully) making it through MA selection, last year was still an EXTREMELY tough &  traumatic year for numerous reasons. I know that the masters training is supposed to be really tough &  demanding emotionally. However, I am not feeling particularly strong and a bit worried about making it through the year emotionally intact &  strong without having the wonderful backup of regular therapy.

What do you think about colleagues from the same institution providing therapy to one another? (I know the psychologist was doing it with me in mind, as he will be my superior when I get there as an intern &  he doesn''t want there to any awkward situations where he would have further insight into me, over the the rest of the interns). Can you think of any other possible solutions perhaps? (Or failing that, is there anything that I can look at as reassuring, rather than anxiety-inducing, about this?)

Thanks CS &  very best wishes to you &  Kitty-Cat

Congratulations ; bold move. Souns like your colleague psychologist is skilled and sensible ; its too awkward to be treating colleagues. But any university or college with a significant Psychology or psychiary program MUST make proper aragements for their students and staff to be treated somewhere else --- maybe UnISA folks a Tuks, and vice versa.
And without delving into your problems and concens, you might not need complex long-term psychotherapy at this stage. I am sure yu will manage just fine. Cat sends her regards, being especially regardful this month.