Posted by: Garfield | 2009-04-20

CS I need your wisdom please!

It has been a looooong time, I sincerely hope your life is going well.

I really need your wisdom &  advice. Is it possible that anger can be a form of depression? I have always had a bit of a temper, but thought I had managed to keep it under wraps.

Looking back on things, people always ask me why I get angry about little things ... or things that appear insigificant. Lately, I have had a few difficult things happen to me in life whch really hurt me. And I have been angry, really angry &  feel like i could lose it at any minute.

I don' t necessary shout or anything, people just ' feel'  that I am angry. And yeah, I guess I am angry about things in general &  finding it hard to cope &  just be happy. I know that some of this anger is from actual events in life, but somehow I fear that I have a deep-routed anger that is just getting worse as I get older (even though I am only in my late 20s).

Do you think this deep routed anger could be a form of deression or some sort of chemical imbalance that contributes to me feeling that way? I think I have valid reasons for feeling angry about elements of my life, but other people have said that I look at things in a skewed perspective.

I know that there is no magic pill, and that just as behavour is learned it has to be un-learned which would involve therapy/counselling &  practice, patience &  hard work from me. I just want to know your point of view &  if you think I should go to a psychiatrist for diagnosis &  possibly medication or if you think it is just behavioural &  I should just go straight to a CBT Psych?

I don' t want to be angry, and often I don' t even realise that I am, but people ' pick'  up on it &  it is really starting to negatively affect my life.

Thank you again CS - appreciate all you do on this site!

Wisdom ? Let me see, where did I put it ? I'm sure i's around here somewhere....
Anger can be independent, but irritability and anger are often inflamed by depression. Sometimes one has a profound sense of anger about someting very significant but not current, or something you can'treally express anger about at the time, and it gets expessed about other things which serve as triggers for it. Yes, I thinkm CBT counselling would be the weay to go, to understand the triggers, learn better means of controlling it, and perhaps working out whether there is any deeper source which also needs dealing with, a sort of emotional volcanology.

Posted by: BlueGirl | 2009-04-21' ve described me to the T. I can' t even think of anything extra to write, cause you' ve said it all..... thanks

Reply to BlueGirl