Question
Posted by: Shazz | 2008/06/05

CS and Mike: ADD/ADHD

Sorry, I'm having difficulties letting go of this chatgroup, I just feel so comfortable here.

I suspect I've had ADD since childhood: I started off a very bright pupil earning diplomas, tropies and merit awards from the age of 6 til roughly 14. Always thought it was my alci father's disruptive behaviour that caused me to loose it with my schoolwork. Barely made it through matric?? Battling to finish ordinary BA for the last 13 years??

Could either of you tell me what this neurotechnology thing is? Does it cost much? Is it considered medical treatment and therefore payable by a standard medical aid?

Thanks for your input and advice so far.

Adios

I have never heard of ANY "neurotechnology| technique with any credibility or respectability as a treatment for ADHD or anything else. And as it can be so hard to get medical aids to pay for standard, well recognized and proven treatments, I very much doubt any of them would pay for it.
Be very very cautious and wary. Especially in these ill-understood conditions, there are many quacks and worse, eager to exploit you and take your money for treatments and methoda and gadgets they make marvellous claims for, but without the essential basic good quality research to prove those claims.
Ask whoever is offering this tosh, for copies of a couple of dozen research studies published in major medical / psych journals, establishing that it is safe and works well in this condition. If they can't provide those, avoid them, and don't accept any excuses

1
Posted by: Mike | 2008/06/05

As CS say, you need to do your research and be comfortable with what you are doing. This program which I did is developed in the states, you can follow the link for the peak achievement program on google. It is not spesifically aimed to cure add/adhd (if only that was so easy) but it is aimed to help you concentrate better. Any person can do it, you don't have to be add. I took the change, and it worked for me! No, the medical aid does not pay... Worth taking a change though... If the can pay gym fees to keep your body healthy, by not to keep your brain healthy too?
Please let my know if there is anything else I can help with.

Reply to Mike