Question
Posted by: sash | 2008/10/21

crunchy shoulder

Hey Doc
For as long as I can remember I' ve had what I call my crunchy shoulder. It' s the left one and whenever i roll it, it clicks, no not click, crunches (feels and sounds in my ear like someone eating rice crispies just a heavier sound). From time to time it get' s incredibly painful almost like there could be an infection but I can' t think that there are specific triggers. Like I say the crunch is always there, the extreme pain comes and goes seemingly unpredictably. To make matters worse I fell on that arm in the beginning of the year during a dance class and injured the upper arm/shoulder section so now the pain is double when it comes around. What would you suggest as the best course of action?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Sash,

This sounds very suggestive of a possible bony lump on the deep side of your shoulder blade (scapula) - a so-called osteochondroma is a benign bony tumour (not cancer) which may grow on the surface of the scapula on the deep side and hook on the ribs. It can be seen on an X-ray (scapular lateral view) which shows the scapula on profile. A CT scan may also be helpful to show the deep side of the scapula. Another condition could be the so-called "whashboard syndrome" where scar tissue lumps form in the bursa between the scapula and the ribs and cause "hooking " on ther ribs. You may to see a shoulder specialist to diagnose the problem with the help of the above-mentioned tests

Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer

4
Posted by: Debi | 2015/04/28

I am a 44 year old female and I have a very similar situation. I have a crunchy left shoulder that hurts most days. Also, the pain wraps around from my chest to my scapula and it is very painful - especially to the touch - in the ribs under my left breast. Any ideas that haven't already been mentioned.

Reply to Debi
Posted by: Sash | 2008/10/27

Thanx Dr. de Beer and Law

Reply to Sash
Posted by: Law | 2008/10/24

Im not an expert but from my experience it is because of injury to the shoulder and liquid has built up from inflamation and almost, well solidified. I had this problem after dislocating my shoulder but after sugery it was great because they cleaned it out.

Reply to Law
Posted by: sash | 2008/10/21

Just to add to the above, the pain that comes in the shoulder always feels like it' s beneath the shoulder blade. I' m female, 27 years old but I' ve had this thing for YEARS!!!

Reply to sash