Question
Posted by: Bongi | 2009-08-26

Cruelty to animals

My grandson is 3years old. He mistreats cats, dogs, hamsters etc. My dog hides in his kennel when he is around. Is this a sign of later mental problems?

Ut definitely can be. Though it might not be so in every case, this is a common finding in children later diagnosed as having Antisocial Personality Disorder, sometimes known as "psychopaths", along with some other signs. For instance, playing with matches and starting fires is quite common among such children, too. You are wise to notice this and be concerned. If possible, it might be wise to arrange for him to be seen by a child psychologist for assessment

2
Posted by: Liza | 2009-08-26

Depending on what you classify as mental problems. In the professional sense I don' t think that it wouldn' t indicate mental conditions like bipolar, depression, schizophrenia. It could however be an indication that he needs to see a psychologist to find out why he is mistreating animals. Perhaps he saw it on television and thus thinks it' s okay. Or he might be learning it from someone else, like a school playmate etc. He needs to understand and learn that it is not acceptable behaviour. This is something that you could try and teach him too, without having him seeing a psychologist.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Ouch | 2009-08-26

Get professional help ASAP.

Reply to Ouch