Posted by: Nicole | 2012-02-13

Cross with my Doctor

In October I went to my GP saying I was exhausted. He put it down to a bit of depression. I went back in December saying I feel terrible. He put it down to the silly season and everyone feels a bit off. In January I went back. He did several blood tests and tested my haemoglobin. He phoned me to say my iron and everything was fine. I feel so bad I made an appointment to see the speicalist I see once a year or so. He did iron studies and told me this morning that my iron and Vitamin B12 is so low I am going to be admitted to hospital on drips because the tablets work so slowly. Medical aid may or may not approve this. I have know my GP for 11 years plus. I am so upset I feel like challenging him. I know he won''t like it. Just keep it to myself?

I certainly makes sense to talk to him about this, saying that you have trused him for a long time, but that this episode has nderstandably upset you, because you were genuinely ill, and feel he just didnt take you seriously. IF he takes his job seriously, as he should, he should take this mesage and he related nformation seriously, oo, and learn from it. If he gets angry, then he doesn't deserve to be your doctor or inded anyone else's. As anon poins out, others are at risk, too ; if he has some personal problems, then he must get hem seen to and not allow thm to risk other people's lives and health

Posted by: Anon | 2012-02-13

What do you mean " Just keep it to myself" ?
What if you had cancer or some other fatal deceases? What if you had not gone to your specialist? He is clearly not taking you seriously as a person or patient.
Just think of his other patients. He needs to be told what happened. He might be going through something in his personal life that is affecting his job. Maybe he will realize how he is becoming a danger to his patients. Maybe he needs to take a break or something.