Question
Posted by: Ang | 2009-02-13

Crohnes Diet ?

I posted a question beginning of this week in regards to my two year old son being diagnosed with allergy to soy and sodium benzoate. He was also diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis on Wednesday, and was advised to follow a Crohnes diet, which in essence avoids rich / spicy / sugary foods, as well as avoiding insoluble fibre and minimising lactose.
I have no idea what to feed him …  I am at wits end ! do you have any suggestions or recommendations for a crohnes diet (obviously now also avoiding soya and E211) !

Dear Ang
I am so sorry that on top of the allergies your poor lad has now also been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. There is no other remedy but to consult a clinical dietitian now. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area or ask the Paediatrician to refer you to a dietitian, because Crohn's disease is a serious condition that requires constant monitoring esp in such a young child - this is not something we can do over the Internet.
I am holding thumbs for both of you.