Question
Posted by: H25 | 2008/09/30

CRISIS

CS

How does one deal with a family member recently diagnosed with COPD? My step-dad was diagnosed with this beg of Sept - it came as a great shock to all of us especially my mom -he was in CCU Morningside Clinic 1 night then general 1 night - yes he was a seriously chronic smoker - he is now so anti-smoking you wouldnt belive it. Its so distressing seeing him - hes on 24hr oxygen at the moment - I want to help as much as possible but dont know how to deal with this. He has to be re-assessed by the lung specialist somewhere round 3-4 mths but has to go back next week for check-up.

There are plenty of us in the family (3 brothers &  1 sister) but I seem to be taking this badly - I feel as if I am going through the same all over again when my grandfather had his stroke many years ago - I didnt deal with that very wel either.

Thanks for any advice.

You will need to talk with his doctors, to be sure you know the outlook and what will need to be coped with. Personal counselling might help you explore and understand better your complex relationship with illness and dependency in loved ones, and plan to handle it better