Posted by: darry | 2012-02-16

Hi, i am a 22 year old male. When I was young, i had surgery on one of my knees because of a torn ligament. Ever since then, i have had what ive discovered (by my own research), serious Crepitus in BOTH knees. That is, when i bend my knee, especially with preassure on it, there is an audible scraping cracking sound. it is also extremely uncomfortable and makes me sometimes feel that my knees will give way. I have been to both doctors and orthopeadic surgeons and both of them told me that this was only due to knee weakness and that i need to strengthen my quadraceps. I have, however done this. and have still had this problem for many years. advice?? what could be going on?

It is possible that the articulate surfaces of the knees are uneven, due to injury or an inflamatory process. I suggest that you reconsult an orthopeadic surgeon for an artroscopy, to visualise your knees from the inside. A MRI scan can also be done to evaluate your knees. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix and a proper diagnosis has to be made.