Posted by: Stacey | 2013-01-28

Creche vs Nanny - effect on a child

Hi CS,

My 2 year old son has been at creche since he was 6 months old. This year he has changed classes &  cries everyday, he sneaks into his old class every chance he gets. I am now thinking of leaving him at home with a nanny. In addition to his adjustment problems I am not happy with the creche. We''ve had a few incidents which I was not pleased about and recently I discovered that they are feeding the kids out of one container with one spoon (hygiene....helllo)!!!!

I intend placing my son in another creche in about 5 months time, once we relocate. Will taking him out of creche affect him &  how? I don''t want to traumatise him further. I am so torn on what to do.

Kindly advise.

Thank you.

Maybe he's missing his previous teacher, having formed a stronger bond with her ' maybe there's something not going well in the new class or with the new teacher. But its not useful to generalise. Most kids do fine in a good creche or with a good nanny, and don't do quite so well with a bad creche or a bad nanny. SDounds like you had reasons to be dissatisfied with this creche anyway, and were planning to move him, but due to a planned move of yourselves in relocating, you were planning a slightly later timing. That should be OK ; he may or may not be bothered by moving sooner to a new creche, or to a nanny, it depends on so many unknowable factors. Trauma will not be likely to be part of it.

Posted by: Fed Up! | 2013-01-30

Leave your child at home to become a screaming nightmare for your neighbours...while the Nanny often hangs around outside chatting all day with her friends? Have you no idea this is how it works...?? Rather move your child to a decent Creche - check by poping in unannounced at any time of the day. He will get used to a proper routine and gain proper social skills. Try my neighbours route and you may end up with an even more insecure child.

Reply to Fed Up!
Posted by: jo | 2013-01-28

By taking the child out of creche and just doing a nanny will not socilize the child well. It just sounds like a really bad creche and it happens. I would suggest looking for a new one, bring up your concerns.

I had the same issue, looked around and found an absolutely amazing creche for my daughter, i reccomend to anyone. If you live in cape town Table View contact Letterland.

Reply to jo
Posted by: Christina | 2013-01-28

Hi Stacey

Have you tried to warn the other parents about what the previous crè che were doing? Putting your child in crè che is quite a good idea. Since this will help him become a socialable child, teen and adult. If you do keep him at home. How do you intend on making him interact with kids his age? If you keep him at home. The chances of him, being shy,or an introvert  or even a pushover are much likely than having him be put in crè che where he can learn things from others. Know how to interact with other kids. Etc.

Reply to Christina