Posted by: ash | 2009-03-02

creatine and thermogenic fat-burner

Hi Doc,

I have a pot-belly but otherwise have a decent fat ratio everywhere else on my body. i still need to put on a lot of muscle because i dont have much. i' m otherwise thin.

i will be taking Biogen Creatine Ultra CEE from today :-
Creatine Ethyl ester 2000mg
Tri-creatine malate 1500mg
Beta-alanine 1200mg
Alpha-lipoic acid 100mg
Glucuronolactone 50mg
Vanadium AAC 1.35mg.
This creatine does comes in a capsule and does not create any water retention. So my understanding is that the muscle you put on will look the same when you stop taking it. what' s your take on capsule creatine that doesnt cause water retention?

In addition i would like to take Evox Hydrocuts (a thermogenic fat burner) to lose the fat around my stomach.

so my logic is as follows: the creatine will help me to build lean muscle whilsts the hydrocuts will allow me to lose the fat on my large stomach. i would appreciate if you could check out the 2 products above and to tell me whether there is any risk from taking them AT THE SAME TIME? and if my logic makes sense?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Ash

I wish it was that simple! Firstly the creatine in ester format is less likely to cause water retention – just remember to cycle one month on and one month off. It will help you increase muscle size, however only if you support with the right nutrition – the body does need building blocks to build. That means you need to start by calculating what your daily calorie need is for the weight you want to be and add calories to that to support your training program and daily activities. If a person wants to loose weight and specifically body fat they will need to consume less calories than what their body needs and in your case you want to build muscle you will need an additional amount of about 15% extra calories and you need to be in a positive protein balance, which constitutes about 2, 5-3g protein per kilogram of body weight if you want to build.

Divide your energy need into six meals per day with the following ratio: 40-60 % carbs, 20-40% protein, and ONLY 20% fat of which most should be good fats (avo, olives, olive oil, safflower oil, nuts and seeds). Split these values into six meals per day – eating about every 3 hours – this keeps the body’s metabolism running and make sure you ONLY eat low GI carbs.

Then re the fat burner – it certainly is not a quick fix – it will help to increase your body’s internal temperature which will help burn some calories, thus it has an effect although marginally. Usually they are stimulant which increase your energy levels and that helps you to train harder and that way burn more calories.
All that said – you can use the product, but will certainly have to address your nutrition otherwise you will still not get the gains you are looking for.

Good luck!