Question
Posted by: Shawn | 2008/08/17

Creatine and caffeine

I have a question about caffeine and creatine. I take my creatine with a dextrose, salt, bicard transport solution.
I also add soda stream x-streme to flavour it. It has some dextrose added but also a bit of caffeine. I read that it contains 37.5mg of caffeine per 250ml (reconstituted).

Since I have it pre/post-workout I' m having roughly the caffeine of 1 cup of coffee.

Now I know that caffeine can reduce the efficacy of creatine.

Would that amount of caffeine have an real effect on creatine?

HI Shawn

It's unlikely - the caffeine content of a cup of coffee is pretty low, certainly by comparison with what is studied in research trials on it. So the application of research presents problems, because the amounts are so different. My gut feel is that the impact is likely very small, probably negligible. Of course, if you could find an alternative flavouring agent, you'd be better off in terms of not having a potential downside to think about. But right now, I honestly don't think it's a major consideration.