Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2011/08/28

Crawling sensation on scalp, followed with pressure on my head then severe headace

I need help please!
Since the past two weeks I experience the following:
First a crawling sensation on my head, sometimes going down to my right side and eye.
Then followed with pressure on my head, feeling as if someone constantly put their hand on your head, also sensitive and sore scalp.
Then I get this severe headache, starting at my right side first then move to my forehead and middle head. Not so much the back of my head.
This is all in the same day and then the headache continues for 2 or 3 days.

I have read various forums where people got similar simptoms and went for all the medical checks and scans and no doctor could find the origin of their problem.

Would appreciate if you can share some knowledge to help me find a cure for this problem.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Amanda,

All the symptoms you describe are common with migraine, and can be successfully treated. The only way one can be certain though is to carry out a thorough investigation. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/07/24

R U ON BENZOS?

Posted by: princess | 2011/11/04

hi,
ihave severe headaches the pst 2weeks with severe pain in he eye and back of my neck and movement in my head....pls help

Reply to princess
Posted by: Headache Expert | 2011/08/28

Dear Amanda,

Reply to Headache Expert