Question
Posted by: Pix7 | 2011-12-12

Cravings

Please help, I''ve been having the worst cravings ever (and I am not pregnant)
The worst craving of all is fish, i crave that everyday! Then i also crave baked beans, cheese and egg.
I know these are all rich in protein but is there anything else I should look out for that my body is looking for?

Dear Pix7
Cravings which are not related to carbohydrates or sugar, can be an indication of a protein deficiency (you don't mention if your diet has been lacking in proteins?), or an attempt to increase the levels of a chemical called serotonin in the brain. Serotonin helps to lift the mood and can counteract depression. However, sudden strange food cravings which are not related to a deficiency in your diet in the preceding month(s), can be an indication of underlying pathology, so if these cravings are not related to any diet that you may have been using before they started, then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup so that the dr can exclude such pathology. In addition to being rich in protein, foods such as fish contain iodine, omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, including vit B12, iron and zinc; baked beans are rich in dietary fibre, minerals and B vitamins; cheese is rich in calcium and egg is rich in iron and vit B12.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-12-12

Dear Pix7