Question
Posted by: Candice | 2011/11/14

Cravings

Hi there, I have had excessive cravings for chocolate over the past two weeks and have eaten so much of it that I have put on nearly 6kg''s. Are there any foods that I can eat that will combat these cravings naturally? Also, are these cravings a symptom of an underlying health issue?

Dear Candice
It is possible that you get hungry and develop cravings for foods like chocolate because you are not eating carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI). Carbohydrates like low-GI bread (buy at most supermarkets), high-fibre breakfast cereals, brown rice, pasta made with Durum wheat, corn on the cob, etc, are vital sources of slow-release energy which the human body needs. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Other factors that can cause cravings are low serotonin levels in the brain. Carbohydrates and chocolates increase the serotonin levels. However, an increased desire to eat sweet foods could also indicate insulin problems, so if eating a low-GI diet does not stop the cravings, then ask your gp to do a thorough medical examination, just to be sure.

1

Dear Candice